Friday, July 10, 2009

2009 - Competing in Freestyle Again!


Winter 2009 I spent quite a bit of time at Rock Island surfing the Brave Wave and trying to learn from the Jacksons, Clay (Wright), Nick (Troutman), & Billy (Harris). (I'm totally name droppin'!!) EJ commented one day I should go to Team Trials, and it made me feel pretty good that someone I considered the best kayaker in the world would say that. So I decided that no matter what, I would try out for the US Freestyle Team. I began to train pretty hard, but in the spring there were several setbacks that included shoulder impingement, physical therapy, skin surgeries, stitches, and a lack of training for 6-7 weeks. Despite this, four days before the event, I drove from Chattanooga to Colorado by myself and gave it a shot anyway. I paddled well in practice, was 4th in Prelims, and flushed in Finals, finishing 8th. But I had never tried out before and was glad I finally did! It left me determined to paddle my best and make it next time.
I thought about trying another event. Fibark on the Arkansas is a favorite, so I decided to go there and work on hole moves. I concentrated on getting bigger front loops, consistent back loops, and learning phoenix monkeys and mcnastys for 2 weeks. Water came up and the hole was waving out. Flushy, but with loops and felixes, I managed to finish 3rd, ahead of the other US Team members, but behind Ruth and Emily...both world champs. I couldn't complain too much about that.

No comments: